Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Most Important Thing

I don’t know how often I will speak on faith issues, but it occurs to me, given the foundation of my life, that it might be often. With that in mind, I should probably clarify just exactly what I believe. Foundational to my belief system is my assurance that the Bible is the source of Truth. While there may be other truth found outside of the Bible, only Truth is in the Bible.

The main Truth in the Bible pertains to our relationship to the Creator of the world. He created the first man and woman perfect. He loved them, protected them and gave them fulfilling work to do with Him. In their ignorance and pride, they rebelled against him. Their choice passed physical and spiritual effects on to all of mankind. Among the physical effects is that we die. Even more stark, though, are the spiritual effects.

No one can enter God’s presence. Although he desires a close relationship with us, we cannot participate in that relationship. Not in our natural state. His love for us was so great, though, that He provided the way for us to come to Him. Jesus lived and died to reconcile us to the Father. All we have to do is believe. We must come through Jesus. There is no other way. When we come though Jesus, though, we enter into a rich heritage. We become sons and daughters of the living God, priceless treasures and blazing emblems of the mercy and love of the Lord of heaven and earth. All the other Truth found in the Bible is secondary to this Truth.

That is the foundation of my life. Whatever I do, I do out of love and joy and gratefulness to the One who loves me so much He gave His life. And continues to pour Himself into me, making me more than I ever dreamed possible.

No comments: