Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Relationship

If you run in church-going circles long enough, you will hear someone make these types of comments. “I ran ahead of God.” “I did it in my own strength, not His.” “I got a lot accomplished, but it wasn’t His way.” Basically, they mean that they forgot God, forgot to ask His direction, tried to do something in a way not consistent with Biblical principles. They accomplished things, but without keeping God first in their lives.

As I’ve stated before, relationship with God is the basis of true faith. As I spend time with the Lord, reading, studying and memorizing His Word, as I converse with Him, as I try to live by His rules and principles, as I share His Truth with others, I am living out that relationship. While my relationship with Him will look similar to others’ relationship with Him, it is unique. Just as two people can have the same friend and there be similarities in how they interact, each relationship is slightly different.

That uniqueness was evident the other day in a recent observation. Others may “run ahead of God” when they are neglecting time with Him. They may start projects, initiate plans, join activities that He would not have led them to do if they had been spending time with Him. I am just the opposite. If I am focused and productive, getting things done and taking on more projects without seeming overwhelmed, chances are I am spending plenty of time reading and studying His Word, conversing with Him and consulting Him for direction. It is when I neglect that relationship, when I rely more and more on myself and don’t spend regular time with Him that I become directionless, full of doubts and procrastination.

Accomplishments or lack of them are not the relationship. They do provide a window, however, into that relationship. A window that serves as a reminder, to me at least, that He wants my relationship most of all.

What about you? What characterizes your life when you are walking in obedience and companionship with your Lord? What characterizes your life when there is a fracture in that relationship? Have you ever even experienced that relationship? Spend time with Him today. He’s waiting for you.

No comments: